Touchpad Scrolling (was Re: distro for compaq laptop?)

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 19 10:34:58 MST 2005

--- "Eric \"Shubes\"" <plug at shubes.net> wrote:

> Josh Coffman wrote:
> >
> > I have Fedora Core 4 running nicely on an HP
> Pavilion
> > z5000 (same as the r3000). I have the ALPS
> touchpad
> > with scroll working after a little tweaking.
> You'll
> > need to install synaptics drivers and edit your x
> > config. (oh and I also use an usb mouse with no
> probs
> > switching between the two.)
> >
> > When researching how to get the scroll working, I
> read
> > articles from people getting it to work on Debian
> > Sarge, Ubuntu, and Slackware also.
> >
> > I seem to recall a couple distros had the
> touchpad(w/o
> > scroll) working out-of-the box: Mepis, Suse, and
> > Mandriva. (I tried a few before settling on
> Fedora.)
> >
> > Most likely you will have to tweak a little if you
> > want the scroll working for any distro.
> >
> > -j
> >
> I started looking into getting the scrolling working
> on my touchpad and
> never finished. I figured that X would need
> tweaking, but hadn't gotten
> to any info on synaptics drivers. Do you have any
> details you'd like to
> share? TIA
>
> --
> -Eric 'shubes'

Sure. My setup allows me to use USB mouse and/or
touchpad with scroll. If you're like me, you'll want
to backup xorg.conf before you edit it.

First install synaptics drivers. I don't know if it's
in any repos or available via rpm. I just built from
source.

get it here:
http://web.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/
I used 0.14.2

Some kernels will need modification to work. I'm on
FC4 and didn't have to do anything to the kernel. I
think the 2.6.12 series has ALPS enabled; which is the
kernel that comes in FC4.

After it's installed, make sure it is loaded at boot.
I'm not at home and can't check this, but I believe I
added Load "synaptics" in xorg.conf .

To get setup my touchpad to be recognized I had to run
this:
# echo -n "reconnect" >
/sys/bus/serio/devices/serio3/drvctl

otherwise, synaptics would say ALPS: synaptics device
not found or something like that.

After that I added a device file so I could use
touchpad and usb mouse without conflicts:

# mknod /dev/psaux c 10 1
# chmod 600 /dev/psaux

Then I just needed to configure xorg.conf:

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "Default Layout"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0

	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice    "TouchPad" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option	    "Buttons" "7"

	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
#	Option	"Protocol" "ImPS/2"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver  	"synaptics"
  Identifier  	"TouchPad"

  Option	"Device"  		"/dev/psaux"
  Option	"Protocol"		"auto-dev"
#  Option	"Protocol"		"alps"
#  Option	"Device"  		"/dev/input/event0"

#  Option	"Protocol"		"event"
  Option	"LeftEdge"		"120"
  Option	"RightEdge"		"830"
  Option	"TopEdge"		"120"
  Option	"BottomEdge"		"650"

  Option	"FingerLow"		"14"
  Option	"FingerHigh"		"15"
  Option	"MaxTapTime"		"260"
  Option	"MaxTapMove"		"100"
  Option	"EmulateMidButtonTime"	"75"

  Option	"VertScrollDelta"	"20"
  Option	"HorizScrollDelta"	"20"
  Option	"MinSpeed"		"0.3"
  Option	"MaxSpeed"		"0.5"
  Option	"AccelFactor"		"
0.01"
  Option	"EdgeMotionMinSpeed"	"15"
  Option	"EdgeMotionMaxSpeed"	"15"
  Option	"UpDownScrolling"	"1"
  Option	"CircularScrolling"	"1"

  Option	"CircScrollDelta"	"0.1"
  Option	"CircScrollTrigger"	"2"
  Option	"SHMConfig"		"on"
EndSection

restart x, and it worked.

For me, I was able to get help from various install
guides on the net and the linuxr3000 discussion group.
I'm not an expert, but I'll try to help if encounter
any problems with this.

-j