Dual Booting with Windows XP

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Tue Aug 16 10:47:56 MST 2005

Nice write-up, June. I'd like to add an observation and a point of
correction.

June Tate wrote:

<snip>

>   GRUB DEPENDS ON FILES ON YOUR FILESYSTEM TO BOOT
>
> So if you delete (or reinstall) your Linux partition later, Grub will
> be rendered useless because the files it uses to boot with are
> gone. Also, if you ever decide to change your filesystem after you've
> installed Grub, you will have to reinstall it, since it won't know how
> to read it. For most people this isn't an issue, since they don't play
> roulette with their operating systems (like I do... =op), but it's
> important that you know about it in case a situation arises where you
> end up having to make such a change. So with that said, let's move on,
> shall we? =o)

Observation: I think this is a good reason why you might want to make
/boot a separate partition.

<snip>

> After you've told Grub what to call your menu item with the title
> command, you have to tell it where it resides. The format for
> this is (hdx,y), where x is the number of the physical drive on the
> chain (master on first IDE chain is 1, slave is 2, master on second
> IDE chain is 3, and so on), and y is the partition number. Note that
> both of these numbers start from 0 instead of Linux's customary 1.

Correction: (master on first IDE chain is 0, slave is 1, master on
second IDE chain is 2, and so on)

I nearly always have to think twice about this!

--
-Eric 'shubes'
"There is no such thing as the People;