Wireless FYI

Dale Farnsworth dale at farnsworth.org
Sat Aug 13 20:48:18 MST 2005

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 12:14:40AM +0000, Daniel P. Stasinski wrote:
> I saw this on Slashdot yesterday...
>
>   http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/08/12/0024240
>
> and the Fry's on West Thunderbird has the AirLink101 AR315W G on sale
> for $16.95 cash.

Yes, but I found the article to be a bit bogus.  The AR315W only has
2MB of Flash and 4MB of RAM.  IMO, that's not enough to run a decent
linux.

If you want to run linux on a wireless router, I suggest the Linksys
WRT54G (4MB Flash/16MB RAM) or even better, the Linksys WRT54GS with
8MB Flash and 32MB RAM.  I put openwrt, see www.openwrt.org, on my
WRT54GS.

I bought a pair on AR315W routers at Fry's on the day after
Thanksgiving for $16.99 each.  They seemed to work OK at first,
but I found them to fail under heavy use.  They appeared to recover
by auto-rebooting; the symptom I saw was that the router would just
drop out for a few minutes at a time.

-Dale