Gigabit card recommendation

Jared Anderson PluggedIn at TheGoldenEdge.Com
Wed Aug 10 21:55:33 MST 2005

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:32:28 -0700, David Huerta writes:
>Hello all,
>
>I have begun the process of moving over my local network to gigabit on cat6.
>I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a 32-bit PCI Gigabit
>ethernet card that performs well with Linux (Slackware). Irix too, if anyone
>happens to know that as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I use a Broadcom Tigon3.

I would check in your kernel for supported devices, that is the safest way to go.
For instance, I am running Gentoo on the 2.6.11 kernel and these are in the kernel
tree:

Alteon AceNIC/3Com 3C985/NetGear GA620 Gigabit support ACENIC
D-Link DL2000-based Gigabit Ethernet support DL2K
Intel(R) PRO/1000 Gigabit Ethernet support E1000
National Semiconduct DP83820 support NS83820
Packet Engines Hamachi GNIC-II support HAMACHI
Packet Engines Yellowfin Gigabit-NIC support (EXPERIMENTAL) YELLOWFIN
Realtek 8169 gigabit ethernet support R8169
New SysKonnect GigaEthernet support (EXPERIMENTAL) SKGE
Marvell Yukon Chipset / SysKonnect SK-98xx Support (DEPRECATED)
VIA Velocity support VIA_VELOCITY
Broadcom Tigon3 support TIGON3

HTH,
Jared