Printer Issue

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Aug 9 07:53:00 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 06:42 -0700, Kevin Brown wrote:

> > The 2 issues that I have found that are a cups network killer are the
> >  ones I pointed out above - you must manually tell cups to allow
> > other network users to print to your cups queue and you must have an
> > opening in your firewall to permit others to talk to the cups print
> > queue.
>
> Those don't sound like killers for the app, but good default security
> policies.  I would not want my printer automatically made available over
> the network as that opens it up to abuse right away (think Cox cable or
> a large network like ASU's).  So forcing me to manually allow it to
> accept remote hosts and open a hole in the firewall to allow others to
> print hopefully means I understand what I'm doing.
----
indeed - sorry I was so glib with my language.

Of course, you have to be careful on systems such as RedHat EL & Fedora
include the cups-config-daemon which can undo manual edits of cupsd.conf
without warning - which is the kind of thing that drove ESR crazy.

I guess that it's helpful to know that if you do manual edits of
cupsd.conf that you might want to shut off the cups-config-daemon.

I wasn't complaining about the cups being deaf to networked hosts or
firewall rules that would normally block access to cups - only trying to
point out that it is most likely these two things that would interfere
whereas samba configuration has already circumvented these two obstacles
making it 'appear' to be easier to make it work.

Craig