File Sharing

george at georgetoft.com george at georgetoft.com
Sun Aug 7 21:55:38 MST 2005

Hi Mark,

I got NFS server to work behind a firewall (iptables) by forcing NFS to
always listen and respond on a specific port.

from the init script:
startproc /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd -P 960 $PARAMS

Then I set up a rule:
# Insert the IP address of each client you want to export NFS to
# separated with spaces
NFS_EXPORT="10.0.1.10 10.0.1.11 10.0.1.13 10.0.1.201"
for NFS_IP in $NFS_EXPORT; do
        ### RPC & NFS
        # SUN-RPC
        $IPTABLES -A INPUT -s $NFS_IP -p tcp --dport 111 -j ACCEPT
        $IPTABLES -A INPUT -s $NFS_IP -p udp --dport 111 -j ACCEPT
        # Userspace NFS
        $IPTABLES -A INPUT -s $NFS_IP -p tcp --dport 2049 -j ACCEPT
        $IPTABLES -A INPUT -s $NFS_IP -p udp --dport 2049 -j ACCEPT
        # mountd & ugidd
        $IPTABLES -A INPUT -s $NFS_IP -p tcp --dport 960 -j ACCEPT
        $IPTABLES -A INPUT -s $NFS_IP -p udp --dport 960 -j ACCEPT
done

HTH

George