Anyone around 18 in the group?

ec eculbert at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 6 10:25:16 MST 2005

--- Gene Holmerud <geneous at cox.net> wrote:

> > I had written the programs that wired the
> > thing, including the 18,000 wires on the six-foot
> CPU
> > backplanes.
>
> I assume you saw one of those wire-wrapping machines
> at work.  The data
> input device on the one I saw was an IBM card punch
> (Yes, in a Univac
> factory).  BTW, I just bought a new wirewrap gun for
> the Science Bowl
> project I'm doing.
>
> > 'Young'ns' -- hrmf.   :-)

Ever see the Gardner Denver wire wrap machines AFTER
Honeywell took the time delays out? Scary speed those
were. 4 to 5 times factory maximum design speed. They
were bolted to the factory floor with 1.5 inch
bolts...8 if I remember right..so they stayed in one
place!! Huge Kludge machines. Plenty of power, the
'tech' office had a 24 that someone had put between
the two halves and hit the 'home' switch..what a
splittered mess! Nothing like 3k of hydrolics to 'send
'em home'. Home is the tools together to pass wire to
the other side...basically.

Or the 'dual' grand piano semi hand wrap machines.
Tape driven for installing the twisted pairs on two
back panels at the same time.

Cyclists should expect and demand safe
accommodation on our public roads,
just as does every other user.