script to break up mp3s

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Wed Aug 3 20:42:06 MST 2005

Hrm.. well, it's not technically correct to say that "SMTP interprets
[anything to do with headers]" since SMTP does nothing of the sort.
In fact, once the mta gets an SMTP DATA command, it doesn't give two
hoots about anything that follows until the end of the message
(<CR><LF>.<CR><LF>).

The only part of the system that might parse it as a custom header
would be the mail client (MUA).  The mail envelope RFC (forgetting
which one off-hand) dictates that the header block ends with a
<CR><LF><CR><LF> sequence.. or a 'blank line' in visual terms.  Any
line that looks like a header after that should be interpreted as
just another line in the body.

Therefore, if your MUA hid the line starting with http:, then it is
broken.  That's a bug that needs to be reported.  Mind you, since I
see you are using Thunderbird, I am going to assume that you are
saying this just as an example and aren't reporting that it happened
to you.  Thunderbird may not be the greatest MUA out there (IMO) but
it handles the mail basics just fine.

While I'm on the topic, though, there is one header field that can
trip up a semi-decent number of MUAs.  That is the 'From' header (not
necessarily the 'From:' header).  The standard format of an 'mbox'-
style mailbox file dictates that new mail messages start with 'From '
either at the beginning of the file or preceded by a blank line (dual
<CR><LF>).  So say you have the following in the body of a mail message:

 From me

Some mail clients would view everything that followed the From as a
new message.  As a result, it's common practice for those MUAs to
escape those lines with something like '>From'.  But you need worry
about that only if you are writing a MUA.

On Aug 3, 2005, at 5:51 PM, Joseph Sinclair wrote:

> People, PLEASE don't make anything with a ":" in it the first line
> of a message!  SMTP interprets that as a custom header field and
> many programs strip it out or hide it.  Just include a non-empty
> line of text before any links or such (a simple salutation works)
> and the results will be much improved.
>
> ==Joseph++
>
> P.S. Erik referenced (http://www.eca.cx/ecasound/) in his message
>
> >Note the lack of any link:
> >vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
> Erik Bixby wrote:
>
>> I believe that utility will do what you want.  I don't know about
>> automating it, though.
>> -Erik
>> On 8/2/05, Bill Warner <wwarner42 at cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Not directly Linux related but I'm hoping someone here might know
>>> how to
>>> do this either with a Linux application or a script able command
>>> line
>>>
>>> I have several audio books in MP3 format that I'd like to break
>>> up into
>>> 5-10 minute chunks.  Mainly because my portable mp3 doesn't seek
>>> very
>>> fast within an MP3.  I've tried a few tools but most seemed like
>>> they
>>> would take me hours just to get everything broken up and I
>>> wouldn't even
>>> be sure I had them cut up right.
>>>
>>> Basicly take:
>>> Audiobook.mp3 150M