Problems w/Dual boot

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Tue Aug 2 18:27:47 MST 2005

augie wrote:
> Hey Pluggers,
> I have a boxen with Simply Mepis and win xp installed. I can boot into Mepis
> but when I try to boot into the win os I get the following:
> [title Windows at hda1]
> [rootnoverify (hd0,0)]
> [chainloader +1]
> [saved default]
> This prints on the screen w/o the brackets and it just hangs there.
> I've used the live CD and gone into the system and re-installed grub but the
> same thing happens when I reboot. Anybody have any ideas how to resolve this?
> TIA

Hey Augie,

I think you might need the "makeactive" command. My grub menu.lst entry
for XP is:

title		Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
root		(hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader	+1

That entry was originally added by the Debian (Ubuntu) installer for a
non-linux OS on /dev/hda1. I don't remember if I modified it at all or
not, but it works fine for me.

HTH
--
-Eric 'shubes'