Debian, RPM, apt and "./configure ... make ... make install"?

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 28 May 2004 03:43:41 -0700

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 18:29, George Gambill wrote:
> It seems to me that under RH, if you did the "./configure ... make ... make install" thing instead of using RPM, the RPM system did not acknowledge the programs were installed (I may be wrong here).
>
> If, if I install such things as Samba 3.0 using ./configure, make, make install, then later want to use apt get, will it work?

----
apt-get is the packaging method used by debian and the whole beauty is
that if you apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade, you will download
the current package list from the servers listed in your sources file
(apt-get update) and update the installed packages (apt-get update).

if you download source files and then ./configure && make && make
install, there is no package management and probably the best you can do
is to return to the source directory, make uninstall and then download
new tarball and repeat. Samba is vital enough that the packaging for
debian users should be pretty much up-to-date.

As for your other question about startx...if you were to apt-get install
kde, because of apt-get has the ability to resolve dependencies, it
should load all of the necessary X components (which if you are using
'unstable', should be xorg.

Craig