Red Hat 8.0 Installation Takes Way Too Long

Ernie L. Bérriz plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 31 May 2003 12:53:01 -0700

I have yet to resolve my problem (I opened up an incident with Red Hat), but
I wanted to report on what I have found out.

I am attempting to install Red Hat 8.0 from a boxed-CD set, and although the
installation seems to go fine, it is taking WAY too long. I was doing a CD
boot installation, in text mode, and got to the point where it started
actually installing the components. The installation was slow to this point,
but, being interactive, it was manageable. At this point, I left it
installing the
components and went to bed. After six hours, the installation program said
it still had ten (10) more hours to go.

The system has a Pentium-II processor running at 266-MHz with 540-MB of RAM,
and I was installing to a secondary 13-GB IDE drive (hdb or D:, depending on
the OS). Not state of the art, but capable of RH8, per the HCL. I verified
the first CD (the installation has never gotten past the first CD), and
passed, although it took 57 minutes to run mediacheck. The CD light blinks
very slowly, compared to when it runs under Windows 98, which is the OS
running on the first hard drive. I ran a test of the CD drive using Easy CD
Creator, and it runs fine.

I also tried making a disk driver diskette, and redid the installation using
this diskette: no help. The install log doesn't show anything significant,
but the system log shows the following message several times:

	<4> hdc cdrom_decode_status: status 0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
	<4> hdc cdrom_decode_status: error 0x30

At this point, I am waiting for Red Hat's word on this, and I also want to
try installing to a different system (I have another system with a P4
processor, but I have to wrestle it away from my kids). I will report back
anything else I find, but in the meantime, if anyone has any ideas, they
would be GREATLY appreciated.

Ernie

Ernie L. Bérriz
 Mesa, Arizona