reviewing CVS hosting services

Jeremy C. Reed plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 30 May 2003 15:24:06 -0700 (PDT)

I have a few projects that I want to move to a development (mostly is
revision control system) hosting service.

I have used sourceforge (as a developer) and other CVS services, but I am
looking for some alternatives.

Can anyone point me to some reviews or comparisons of different
developer's hosting services?

I am interested in making an webpage or writing an article about this
research.

Here is a list:

http://www.asynchrony.com/

http://www.binary-pulse.org/

http://cvsdude.kicks-ass.org/

http://devel.phor.net/

https://developer.berlios.de/

https://www.freepository.com/

http://www.hostingohio.com/

http://savannah.gnu.org/
http://savannah.nongnu.org/

http://www.sourceforge.net/

http://sunsite.dk/info/projectapplication.xml

http://www.thefreespeech.org/

http://webframe.org/

A list of some is at
http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Open_Source/Hosting/

Do you know of others?

Please share your comments and experiences.

A list of features for discussion:
(I place a * by the ones I desire.)

- free
- able to export or retrieve entire CVS repository. *
- able to retrieve all files (and history) so I can leave service *
- CVS via SSH *
- web interface to CVS *
- webpages (and maintained via CVS too)
- mailing lists (with subscription-only posting)
- archives of mailing lists
- searchable archives of mailing lists
- web forums
- bug tracking databases, emails (I have used gnats a lot)
- task management
- reliable backups
- reliable connections and availability *
- adequate bandwidth
- download site
- tools for generating tar file snapshots
- tools to generate packages (like .deb or .rpm, etc.)
- rsync and maybe cvssync of code
- web upload
- CVS alternatives, like subversion and opencms (maybe a gateway)

Please let me know of other features and any experiences.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/