Good Old ASCII?

Ed Skinner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 30 May 2003 10:06:28 -0700

Help!
    I want "plain old ASCII" man-page output for cutting and pasting into=
=20
other documents. I know how to remove the overstrikes:
         man bootparam | col -b > splat.txt
    But splat.txt has three-byte codes for some of the punctuation. For=20
example, a hyphen is showing up as E2,88,92 (that's the hex) and the=20
apostrophe is E2,80,99.
     LANG is currently set to en_US.UTF-8. I can get a temporary fix:
          LANG=3DC bootparam | col -b > clean.txt
     This gives me what I want for the moment but I'd like a more permane=
nt=20
solution. I see the offending LANG setting in /etc/sysconfig/i18n and pre=
sume=20
that's where I should change it (for a permanent fix).
     But will I be shooting myself in the foot if I do so? What will brea=
k?

--=20
Ed Skinner, ed@flat5.net, http://www.flat5.net/