(Fwd) [IP] MS Windows Crash Traps Thai Politician in Car

Phil Mattison plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 29 May 2003 08:31:10 -0700

Previously posted:

> Here is a quote from UCLA professor Phil Agre.
>
> "Knowledge lives in communities, not individuals.
> A computer user who's not part of a community of
> computer users is going to have a harder time of
> it than one who is."

At the risk of getting OT, I have always found
the tension between self-interest and the need to be
part of a community a fascinating paradox.
Here is an excerpt from a book I once read
that throws a glaring light on the subject:

"AT THE TOP of the hierarchy of social organization
is the realm of sovereignty, where there are no rules.
Here the hypocrisy is extreme; for the stability
and solidarity of the collective are dependent
upon the confidence of its constituent subordinate
collectives and individuals that the government is
itself bound by those principles which protect
its constituents, as well as its neighbors, from the abuse
of its power. So the spokesmen for the sovereign
amoral nation are constantly proclaiming the nation's
morality, its commitment to justice, freedom, and peace,
whereas in fact, they are leading the nation
in the pursuit of more power by whatever means
promise success. Insofar as this pursuit is curbed at all,
it is curbed by fear of retaliation by other sovereign states
and fear of insurrection at home."
Allen Wheelis -- The Path Not Taken

And it seems the big guys have less to fear every day.
(My two cents)
--
Phil Mattison
Ohmikron Corp.