Mandrake 9.1 and ACPI

Lee Einer plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 28 May 2003 19:05:47 -0700

--------------080303050302060300070601

* INCIDENT STATUS CHANGE SUMMARY*

<http://www.mandrakeexpert.com/images/j.jpg>   *Username : Date : Action
: Comments*

  <http://www.mandrakeexpert.com/pics/arrow.gif>

appealsman : 24/05 08:24 : Incident created
Just installed Mandrake 9.1 on my HP ZE4325us Laptop. ACPI and ACPID
will not run. There is no /proc/acpi folder, and no /proc/sys/acpi
folder. What do I need to do to get acpi up and running?

     <http://www.mandrakeexpert.com/pics/arrow.gif>

appealsman : 24/05 08:50 : More info provided
I did try using DrakConf to append the /etc/lilo.conf file to acpi=on.
This caused my system to completely freeze on reboot. I could not even
use the power button to power the laptop down. I have since appended the
lilo.conf file back to acpi=off.

        <http://www.mandrakeexpert.com/pics/arrow.gif>

Linux-phased : 27/05 02:35 : Reply received
If this kernel, doesn't let you use the acpi=on option, then you cannot get
acpi to run on this maschine with this kernel, only solution, that might
help
is to get a stock kernel from kernel.org and recompile em, but you will
also
have to recompile other things in addition, like alsa to have sound again.

Sorry to tell you.

           <http://www.mandrakeexpert.com/pics/arrow.gif>

appealsman : 27/05 09:53 : More info provided
Is this Mandrake's official answer?

              <http://www.mandrakeexpert.com/pics/arrow.gif>

Linux-phased : 28/05 03:39 : Reply received
Yes, as I'am an offial Mandrakeexpert.

If you don't know how to compile a kernel, then you can consult the
Mandrake
Documentation it describes how to do that.You can also have a little
tutorial
that I wrote for myself some time ago, which features all commands step by
step for compiling a kernel.

Or you can wait until the final release of the kernel 2.4.21 from
kernel.org,
since I will pack a unpatched vanilla kernel from kernel.org for myself.

Hi, all-

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased a new laptop, both for practical
reasons and so I could demo Linux for friends, coworkers, etc. I also
purchased Mandrake 9.1 Powerpack, as one of it's selling points is that
it has acpi support "out of the box." Since then, I have had some
disappointments. I found that the laptop would not boot unless I turned
off automatic PCMCIA support, and I found that ACPI would not work at
all. So I decided to cash in on my paid expert installation support with
Mandrake.

The response I received truly baffled me- the "Mandrake Expert"
responding to my request just states that if ACPI doesn't work when I
try it, I need to get another kernel. Why, if I already have a kernel
which has ACPI support, would I need to download and configure a new
kernel for ACPI support?  Why would I believe that a new kernel with
ACPI would work if the current kernel has ACPI and doesn't work?

I have attached the incident report below. What am I missing?

Lee Einer

--------------080303050302060300070601--