Old computer from Slackware presentation, Part 3

David Huerta plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 28 May 2003 09:59:24 -0700

Nah, I'm not using the display device, just hookup on the board with an
adapter for scsi wide on the drive.  I don't plan on installing a GUI on
this machine, which will simply be a file server, but I'd appreciate any
pointers on getting a cd-rom to work on this thing.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us] On Behalf Of
technomage
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2003 2:06 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Old computer from Slackware presentation, Part 3

David,
I was the one that brought that machine in. are you using the scsi
attachment
on the display device?
if so, that won't work in linux (I think its windows centric).. also,
the
display device for that machine doesn't like GUI for some reason (never
did
figure out why). I have an extra display laying here (matrox mellenium)
if
you want it).

give me a call at 623-849-9515 when you get a chance.

Mage

On Friday 23 May 2003 01:25 pm, David Huerta wrote:
> Not sure if anyone remembers the old Compaq my friend won from an East
> Side meeting last month, but we've basically exhausted most
traditional
> means of installing Linux on it, and have come up with an alternative:
>
> The computer has two scsi drives and now a scsi cd-rom, which
Slackware
> still can't detect.  However, it can detect an IDE hard drive on the
IDE
> port it has, maybe.  I plan on installing the OS on another computer
on
> an IDE hard drive and then sticking it back into my friend's comp,
then
> dding the whole OS into its larger SCSI hard disk.
>
> or
>
> I can find a larger IDE hard drive, stick it in my computer, dd the
iso
> image onto the hard drive, stick it back into my friend's comp, boot
> with a floppy, and select that IDE hard drive as the source of the
> packages.
>
> note that I have little experience with SCSI and will prolly ask more
> questions when I decide to set up a RAID array.
>
> - David Huerta

- --
numbered!
My life is my own - No. 6