Professional licensing

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 28 May 2003 07:27:24 -0400

Gene,

We don't disagree completely.  I have nothing against using government as an
enforcer of last resort, in cases of fraud and gross negligence.  And though
it's greatly abused at the current time (and needs to be reformed), the civil
court system provides a disincentive against recklessness.  (I think that
regulated industries are sometimes shielded from legal action, and shouldn't
be.  Neither should a EULA be an iron-clad protection.)  Also, if a
third-party certification organization such as UL discovers others abusing
its trademark, it should be able to sue to stop it.  Government is good at
using force, but not very good at setting technical standards.  Also, as
we've seen many times in Arizona (most recently in the Corporation
Commission), too much power leads quickly to corruption.

Vaughn