Linux Program for Win2k Password recovery

AZ Pete plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 27 May 2003 11:23:03 -0700

A client of ours has a Dell server with Win 2000 Server loaded and they lost the admin password.
The machine is still under warranty and I phoned Dell tech support hoping they would have some method of getting into
the box.  They did not.
However, the tech was VERY helpful.  He said there are programs available to reset a Win 2K admin passwords (neither
are endorsed by dell).
One was called Winternals ERD commander, but it costs $400-$500.
He also said there is a free Linux program that boots via CD that resets the admin password.  He couldn't remember the
name and I couldn't find anything via google.

Has anyone heard of said Linux program?  If so, where can I get a copy.  Rebuilding this box will be a huge nightmare
and spending $400 is not too palatable either.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter