(Fwd) [IP] MS Windows Crash Traps Thai Politician in Car

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 27 May 2003 07:17:28 -0400

George,
I definitely got a chuckle out of those!  I thought it was interesting that
these guys all worked for a major firm.  Sounds like the firm itself isn't
taking responsibility for the quality of its consultants, which probably
helps the short-term bottom line, but will hurt it in the long run (kind of
like Anderson and the Enron thing.)

I know a lot of clients give competency tests, but are the tests themselves
competent?  :-)  It would be cool if a prospective employer/client could
evaluate some of the prospect's previous work.  Unfortunately, most of that's
covered by NDA, and it's also pretty easy to plagiarize code and get away
with it.  Another option (I almost hate to suggest it, because the concept
seems pretty noxious to a "cowboy programmer" like me), might be to use the
"pair programming" approach pushed by the Extreme Programming methodology.
This could have a lot of value in the early stages of one's employment and/or
contract.  Of course, I'm assuming you have enough competent developers to
act as mentors for the new ones.  :-)

Vaughn