ftp install problems

Jeremy C. Reed plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 26 May 2003 09:30:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 25 May 2003 frankburton@cox.net wrote:

> I don't have a linux box up and running right now.

> > > I am trying to install Suse8.2 via ftp I have the correct boot disk
> > > but it wants me to put in a ip addy for the ftp server.
> > > ftp-linux.gatech.edu is the server but I have no clue on how to find
> > > the ip.

If you have email access, I'll assume you have web access. Go to google
and search for nslookup. Several links will come up for web-based
interfaces to nslookup.

I don't use nslookup, because it often gives error messages and/or
results that are not clear. Maybe use dig or host instead.

Also, it doesn't seem to resolve:

$ gethost ftp-linux.gatech.edu
Problem looking up "ftp-linux.gatech.edu": Unknown host

   Jeremy C. Reed

   http://www.reedmedia.net/software/gethost/