Professional licensing

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 25 May 2003 15:12:13 -0700

One difference with "software engineering" is
trying to determine where to draw the lines.
Do you call a senior Unix sysadmin an engineer?
Probably, but how "junior" does he need to be --
how incidental to his job does the administration
need to be -- before he's not engineering anymore?
How about someone who hacks a shell script now
and then, or creates an Excel macro?  How about
someone who fills in data in some sort of decision
table?  What duties of a website creator are
engineering, what parts are art, and what
lines in that area must not be crossed without
a license?

The bottom line is that the *business* of
providing certain types of services needs to
be regulated to some degree.  A contractor did
a new roof for me, and didn't return my calls
when it leaked.  The county inspector conveyed
my complaint to him and also found some
deficiencies, and he did the repairs because
he knew his license depended on it.

The guy who built the wall behind my property
turned out not to be licensed -- the neighbor
lined him up, and I paid half.  He did a most
excellent job, but I didn't hire him for the
side wall because I found out he wasn't licenced.

But I don't offer my programming services in
the phone book to naive customers.  My customers
are business people who are more likely to
analyze what they're buying and to check