Is there anything we can do as a group about SCO ?

Daniel Wolstenholme plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 25 May 2003 01:01:42 -0700 (PDT)

Whoops, sorry about the previous message; I wasn't finished
editing it.

This law is vague and stupid.  For one thing, I'm an electrical
engineer working in the semiconductor field.  WTF does that have
to do with land surveying?  In the third sentence, it refers to
seeking registration as a "professional engineer".  What exactly
does this mean?  I'm an engineer, and that's my profession, but
I don't seek registration for it.  But "professional engineer"
(usually capitalized) usually refers to one who has
state-granted professional licensure.  The only part of this law
which is really questionable is the first sentence refering to a
person desiring to practice "engineering" (which sure is a broad
term compared to the others there, like assaying, geology, and
home inspection).  Does this mean that all people who work as
engineers must apply for registration?  So if the state of AZ
wants to enforce this law, they better start by shutting down
Intel, Motorola, Honeywell, and Boeing!!!  Because tens of
thousands of engineers are employed at those companies here in
Phoenix!  And they're certainly not interested in paying a tax
to the state and taking a test on power generation equipment.

Licensing engineers is just not useful for people who sit in
cubes all day writing VHDL code.