exim config

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 24 May 2003 20:32:45 -0700

On Saturday, May 24, 2003, at 06:07 PM, Bart Garst wrote:
> Thanks Kurt, that helped some. Now at least the proper mail server is
> rejecting my messages. Here's a bit of the response:
> bartgarst@cox.net
>   SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM:<bks@necgate>
> SIZE=1431:
>   host smtp.west.cox.net [68.6.19.4]: 553 necgate.cox.net does not
> exist
>
> The part confusing me is the "necgate.cox.net". Necgate is the name of
> my machine. What did I miss that allowed this error?

Hmm.. I'm not sure.  My best guess here is that you are specifying your
hostname or domain in the exim.conf file.

Basically, smpt.west.cox.net does a reverse lookup on the sending host
to make sure it is authorized to relay the message.  When it gets to
'necgate.cox.net', it panics because that host does not exist at all..
and it should know since it handles cox.net.

Now when I relay mail through cox.net, my host shows up as
'ra.granroth-home' which is my internal name for my box.  That is
clearly a garbage name so the cox mail server then looks at the IP
address (which is 68.something) and sees that that is valid.

Try finding in the exim.conf where you specify cox.net and comment out
that line.

If that's not it, then I can't think of what else off the top of my
head.  Perhaps somebody else has a better idea.

Kurt Granroth