exim config

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 24 May 2003 17:06:41 -0700

On Saturday 24 May 2003 15:44, Bart Garst wrote:
> I've never configured an MTA before and I'm finding it rather difficult.
> I'm using exim v3.35 & mutt v1.3.
>
> What I want to do is send a message to my cox account. What do I need to
> configure in exim.conf? I would assume I need to tell it where to find
> cox's smtp server and my cox account id. Since I'm not well versed in
> mail transport lingo, reading the config file and exim docs haven't
> helped me much.

Open up /etc/exim/exim.conf with your favorite editor.  Look for the
'lookuphost:' router and comment it out (and all the lines related to it).
In its place, add the following lines:

smarthost:
	driver = domainlist
	transport = remote_smtp
	route_list = * smtp.west.cox.net bydns

This worked for me with exim3 under Debian.  I have since moved to exim4 which
is a bit different.