cross-compiling (win16) help!

Dorian A. Monroe, II plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 24 May 2003 08:43:40 -0700

It's a DOS-only program.  I'm making a bootable CD that will connect to
a Windows NT/2000 network.  It's DOS based, as the program has to run
from a bootable floppy disk (to be later converted to the bootable cd).
So it's gotta be Win16.  It doesn't have to be multi-platform.  Just the
one!  So far I've got it set up to autodetect almost every NIC that I
work with, as well as support for 3com 575, 574, & 589 pcmcia NICs.  All
my menus have been written with Kixtart.

The particular program I'm working on will take a file (system.ini) and
change all instances of "A:\Net" & other variables and change them to
reflect the actual location in the \Net folder, after a ramdrive is
created.  This needs to be changed at runtime, as the ramdrive won't
necessarily be assigned to the same drive letter every time.  I already
have an exe that will work, however I don't like it as it spits a bunch
of junk out to the screen that I can't redirect to >nul.  I've gotten it
rewritten in C++ to my satisfaction under Linux and tested under Win32,
however I still need it to run under true 16-bit DOS.  98% of the time,
this will be used to connect to a network share to run Ghost.

If I get any time to work on it this weekend, I'll pull out my Borland
5.0 & see if I can get it going.  Otherwise, I may be sending it out to
Liberty for a little TurboC 3.0 action!