cross-compiling (win16) help!

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 23 May 2003 19:00:26 -0700

On Friday 23 May 2003 04:02 pm, Dorian A. Monroe, II wrote:
> Hi Folks!
>
> I'm working on a little C++ app for a project I'm doing.  I've written =
the
> code the way I want it, and it works just fine for me under Linux (Mand=
rake
> 9.1, fairly vanilla install).  Unfortunately, I need it to run under DO=
S,
> and I don't know compiler/linker options well at all, or even how to be=
gin
> cross-compiling for a Win16 environment.
>
> I've even moved the app over to MS VC++ 6.0, but I'm still too much of =
> dummy to be able to create a Win16 app in there.  The executable size i=
> still waaaay too big for my needs anyhow.  It needs to be oh, as small =
as
> possible, and stripping out the default compiler & linker options in VC=
++,
> I can only get the exe down to about 150k.  I have less than 2k of code=
,
> including comments.
>
> My other option is to dig out my copy of Borland C++ 5.0 on 50 or so fl=
oppy
> disks and compile it from that.  I'd be willing to email my source if
> someone wants to compile it for me!  Or let me know what compiler & lin=
ker
> options or packages I'd need to install to be able to do it myself from=
 my
> Mandrake box would be fine too.  Give a man a fish, you feed him for a =
day.
>  Teach him how to fish...  :)    Thanks in advance!!
>
>   -- Dorian

First, you may want to post this to the plug-devel email list.  It's wher=
e the=20
developers and programmers hang out.

You need define the MS based target platform better.  First you said you =
want=20
it to run on DOS and then you talked about Win16.  It is also possible to=
=20
compile it as a 32 bit DOS application which means it has to run under=20
Windows 95 or newer but runs in a DOS screen without a GUI.

Anyway, start by specifying these parameters:
16-bit or 32-bit? MS Visual C++ 6.0 CANNOT make a 16-bit application.  (T=
hat's=20
correct, cannot.)  Version 1.5 was the last version to do 16-bit apps.

DOS or GUI?

Do you have to use MS tools or do you want to use others?  I believe ther=
e are=20
a few open source or Free Software tools to compile DOS applications.

=46rom there, more help is possible.

Alan