changing file permissions

David Mandala plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
22 May 2003 16:06:39 -0700

Actually journaling and needing to be defragged  are different issues
and not related. That said unlike msdos, vfat, vfat32 and the like, xfs
does not normally need to be defragged, nor normally does ext2 or ext3
or for that matter reiserfs.

What was the problem that you had with ext2. Was it the reboot time if
shutdown incorrectly? If so use ext3 which is journaling like xfs or
just use xfs everywhere.

Since fat32 is not a native Linux file system you lose security and
ownership control as it has not got the necessary storage for that.

Cheers,

Davidm