Is there anything we can do as a group about SCO ?

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
21 May 2003 23:16:15 -0700

On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 08:40, Vaughn Treude wrote:

> Anyway, for the first time I'm considering attempting to boycott MS  products,
> though it may not be feasible yet in this slow economy, with good software
> projects being difficult to find.  Another thing I haven't yet done is try to
> convince the non-geek types I know to switch to Linux, because of the
> difficulty of setup and the relative shortage of good applications.  But now
> there are some very user-friendly distros out there and Windows emulation is
> getting better.  If I do enough research I can probably find solutions that
> would suit a lot of the people I know.
-----
perception and language ...

Windows emulation...fahgetaboutit

relative shortage of good applications? I thought that was part and
parcel of Windows - but of course a plethora of mediocre applications
and good games.

I can tell you that with all confidence that once you commit to using
Linux, you can do anything and everything that you were doing on Windows
and not have to worry about licensing. You learn more about Linux that
way too.

I have a Windows machine here, I use it to scan because I don't care
enough to bother connecting my HP 6110 to Linux and make it work. I also
use it to access AOL (the few times I access AOL)

I have a Macintosh and I use it for DTP and music sequencing and digital
recording.

It's not a geek thing and it's here, it works well on the desktop.

Craig