Is there anything we can do as a group about SCO ?

Entelin plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
22 May 2003 03:38:17 -0700

Thats what I am keeping my eye out for as well. There is only a few more
things we need in order to make a complete switch presentable to the
small to medium business that is running on 100% Microsoft stuff. As
hard line as I must sound sometimes I am actually quite moderate on the
concept of free vs closed. While I think its clear that the quality of
free software(the gnu term) is inevitably superior. I also think that
there are things that are simply not viable using a completely free
methodology. For example games, and other multimedia. Things that don't
effect the fundamental operating structure or stability of a system I
don't have any problem with being closed source. Free projects are
driven mostly by interest, and need. Many commercial software packages
do not generate enough of this to drive free software replacements.
However I don't understand why so many companies are so bent to keep
their source hidden away... at least release it after a certain period
of time like ID Software does.

Well at any rate the important thing is that a foundation of free
software creates a medium in which all software vendors can compete
fairly. That, in the end, is my vision of the future.