Ken Thompson Interview

Michael F. March plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 21 May 2003 13:17:54 -0700

G.D.Thurman wrote:

 > With Unix in the news I have found myself re-reading a
 > IEEE interview with Ken Thompson taken May of 1999.
 >
 > http://www.computer.org/computer/thompson.htm

I had read this interview when it came out but it is
interesting to re-read it in today's light.

Two things I got from it:

     1. He professes to have "gone through the source".
        Although he knocks Linux on its inconsistent
        quality, he did not raise any IP concerns. Being
        one of the originators of UNIX, he would be one
        of the best people to make a claim like that.

     2. At the time of this interview, he claims that Linux
        was VERY unstable.. He must of been running the SLS
        distribution or something. :)

        He stated that it had a long way to go to be used in
        "firewalls, gateways, embedded systems.."

     3. He claims that Linux will not be successful in the
        long run..

--

<march>

Michael F. March ----- march@indirect.com