SSH in the Matrix

Gene Holmerud plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 18 May 2003 17:00:48 -0700 (PDT)

Just saw the movie altho I had glimpsed at this msg
previously.  I'm also a 25-yr veteran of power
industry SCADA systems.  It's not obvious what OS is
running either in the movie nor when actually walking
into a real-life control center.  The work stations
are usually dedicated to the real-time application and
you don't see the GNOME, KDE, etc. environments.

Having said that, there is one major providor of SCADA
(Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition, as it's
known in the industry) that recently began offering a
Linux & mysql based system.  Most now are AIX or
SunOS, but Linux is being evaluated by some vendors.
One strict requirement is availability.  Even with the
stability of AIX, SunOS, etc., systems run on multiple
hosts, each with a hot-standby able to take over
within about a minute.

So, your question will probably go unanswered other
than it was probably done in a hollywood studio.

Gene