Disk scan utility?

AZ Pete plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 14 May 2003 23:58:39 -0700

Hi all,

Is there a util in Linux that will perform a surface scan of a hard disk to
locate bad sectors and mark them as unusable?
Something similar to Windows Scandisk util.
I recall during the Redhat installation routine there was a check box that
I could select to perform a surface scan.  What utility does this?
I have a hard drive I'm trying to get data from but there are a few bad
sectors and as a result I'm unable to pull an image of the drive.  I would
like to mark those sectors as bad, so I can then pull the image and get
most of the data off the drive.

I tried using fsck, but it only seems to check if the filesystem is
contiguous.  It says that the filesystem is clean.

Any help would be appreciated.
Peter