Alternitives to exchange server ? (Entelin)

George Gambill plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 12 May 2003 08:56:27 -0700

Some thoughts I collected over the past few months.  I am not aware of any
free replacements but these should be considerably less expensive and are
Linux based.  Hope they help.

***

SuSE Openexchange Server
Bynari (bynari.net) offers "Insight Server"
http://www.bynari.net/Life_After_Windows.pdf

***

Date: 19 Apr 2003 09:23:02 -0700
Jeremy:

Here's a link to the SuSE Openexchange Server website:

www.suse.com/us/business/products/suse_business/openexchange/index.html
Their website has an on-line demo of the product.

It's basically a portal/email server that performs the
functions of Microsoft Exchange. It's really an Exchange replacement.
There is also a product called Insight Server from Bynari at
www.bynari.net that performs similar functions.

Neither product is free, but SuSE Openexchange Server is cheaper than
Bynari Insight Server and much cheaper than Microsoft Exchange.

The main advantage of using these products is that you get a GUI based
installation and configuration feature. Each product includes some
proprietary features to make installation and configurations less
challenging. If instead, you build your own email server, from Open
Source components, then you are forced to manually edit the config files
or create your own installation and configuration scripts.

So, even in these "budget challenged" times, there is no reason
to tolerate an expensive, unreliable or ineffective email server.

To every professional or business person that I know, email has become
a "mission critical" service. When their email server is down, their
business is down. Running their own email server, allows them to take
control of this important service. It becomes more attractive when you
realize that you don't have to install any additional hardware in your
offices to get these benefits.

However, if you are already running other servers in your offices, then
one more won't be a problem.

Sincerely,
W. E. Brooks
Senior Systems Consultant