Linux laptop configuration

Bart Garst plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 11 May 2003 11:25:24 -0700

I can help with the dvd encryption.

I put together a tarfile with the source for xine plus the libraries to
handle the encryption. It also has the instructions to get it all to work. I
originally put it together for RedHat but since it's building from source it
should also work with Mandrake.

http://members.cox.net/bartgarst/xine.tgz

Bart

Hi, all-

I just purchased a Hewlett Packard Pavillion ZE4325US laptop. I have
loaded Mandrake 8.2, and will be upgrading to 9.1 as soon as my boxed
set arrives in the mail. The install went well, but I am encountering a
few minor configuration issues-

First, this laptop keyboard has five cutesy, illuminated programmable
keys at the top, which are supposed to be shortcuts to internet access,
e-mail, etc. Is there any way to get them recognized and programmed
under Linux?

Second, the laptop has a built-in modem which is not detected by
HardDrak. There is no /dev/modem file. Specs provided with this laptop
are pathetic, and don't tell me what kind of modem I have, but I am
thinking at this point it is a winmodem. Assuming it is a winmodem, what
is involved in getting it configured?

Third is the DVD-ROM drive. It works, now that I have created a symlink
from /dev/dvd to the appropriate block device, and identified and loaded
the appropriate Xine audio driver, but I use the term "works" loosely,
as it won't play encrypted DVDs. What software do you all recommend for
playing DVDs on laptops?

Last issue- the system hangs for awhile on boot. I think it is waiting
for an internet or LAN connection through the built-in NIC. I may want
to share an internet connection by installing a second NIC in my desktop
and enabling internet sharing. I would like the laptop to not take
forever to boot, but would like to set it up so I can jack into my
desktop and browse the internet, etc. How can I set this up so that the
laptop does not look for an internet or LAN connection on start-up, but
does look for a connection when I want it to?

Lee Einer