LTSP

simply service plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 9 May 2003 23:06:50 -0400

I've just recently been approved to rollout LTSP and a Win2k terminal server.  I wanted to run my plan by the plug list to make sure I'm not overlooking anything (this is my first time playing with terminal services).

I plan to install Gentoo to replace our main server (which is currently running SuSe 7.3).  The server is a 2.4 GHz systen with 512 MB of 1066 MHz RDRAM.  Another system will have the same configuration, but with 1 GB of RAM for the Win2k terminal server.  Most of the workstations on the Lan have a Realtek 8139(A/B) network card that is not PXE capable so I'm going to have to boot these with a floppy.  Here is a list of software that will need to be available for this 6 user (more later) system:
1. Mozilla
2. Internet Explorer
3. KMail
4. Quickbooks
5. OpenOffice
6. Adobe Acrobat Reader
7. phpGroupware

I am foreseeing a few problems and would like to know if anyone has any experience with these issues:

1.  Linux to Windows password sync? (I know of "Services for Unix" package from microsoft, are there other options?)
2.  Is there a better way to provide linux users access to windows applications? (wine isn't good enough).
3.  Any problems I'm overlooking? I'm sure there are a few.

Thanks,

Jason Pfingstmann, CNA
Systems Engineer
Serendipity Telepresence, Inc.