Dumb Terminal?

Fri, 09 May 2003 14:54:18 -0700

Carl Parrish wrote:

>A *long* time ago when I worked for motorola we had what we called dumb
>terminal they were little more than monitors connected though the lan to
>a powerhouse machine (or at least what counted for a power house back
>then). Recently I was reading an article (which I can't find now) where
>Sun had these kewl little boxes that connected to your monitor and your
>lan and you could use them as dumb terminals to a sun box (not sure if
>you could use them with linux). I *love* this idea If I could free up my
>desk space move *all* my computers to my computer room (most are now but
>I still have two bulky ones in my office and my admin has a few in
>hers), and just place this cute little box on my desk I'd be a happy
>person. So does anyone know of any good dumb terminal for Linux? Yeah I
>know I can *make* any computer into a dumb terminal but mostly what I'm
>looking for is something small and something that will display very good
>graphics (in case I ever have a lan game night or something). Since I
>don't think there is much to this I don't think it should be costly but
>my main conciderations are small, fast, works with linux (terminal
>servers) and good graphics. Anyone have any suggestions?

As far as I'm familiar with the definitions, a dumb client is
essentially a monitor and keyboard that do nothing locally except
display text (and sometimes graphics). If you want something that will
work with "good" graphics and possibly even games, a thin client might
be more of what you are looking for.