New Coaster!

foodog plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 08 May 2003 01:23:45 -0700

Lee Einer wrote:

> On that note, I just purchased (tonight) a new laptop. Only problem is,
> it comes with XP. I asked if I could get another rebate if I got it
> without the stinky OS, but they thought I was kidding. So now I have to
> ask- is the Microsoft CD that comes with it a coaster, or can I get a
> rebate from MS for the OS which I will never use?

Maybe sell it on eBay?  I've never heard of anyone extracting a refund
from MS.

You'd want to be *sure* it's in its original shrinkwrap packaging --
apparently Windows inextricably attaches to a PC on installation - like
herpes, sorta... MS describes it as "just like a tattoo" at
http://windowslicensing.msoem.com/english/3mod_faqs.asp

iirc, there was a court case where it was deemed legal to resell a
vestigial copy of Windows obtained with a new PC.  IANAL, and would
personally just toss it in a drawer.

HTH!

Steve

P.S.
Did you remember to thank your OEM for not exposing you to the heeedious
dangers of a Naked PC?
http://www.microsoft.com/philippines/licensingcentral/piracy_nakedpc.asp