Whats with X

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 04 May 2003 02:16:54 -0700

KevinO wrote:
> =

> Rob Wultsch wrote:
> > Isn't x-window-system something like 50+ megs?
> >
> > And what I meant by implementing x in the kernel is having just the v=
ery
> > basic x... This would make transitions for mcse's much easier.
> >
> =

> If the 'MCSE' is trying to transition to using Linux than including X o=
n their
> box will help. (Although not in kernel-space)
> =

> If the 'MCSE' is trying to transition into a roll of support and/or
> administration, they will make the best progress by learning on the com=
mand
> line first! Important concepts and skill sets such as Unix philosophy,
> redirection, piping, efficient use of the shell, etc. require use of th=
> command line. The sooner someone learns the basics of how a Unix system=
 works,
> the better their progress will be.
> =

> People that have never really worked with Unix (or Linux) have now idea=
 how
> crippled they are without the command line, reguardless of the operatin=
g system.
> =

> I heard Kim Komando last weekend on the radio. A guy called in and he w=
anted

Most of the computer-savvy people (and all the Linux people) in Honolulu
laugh at Kim Kommando.  They take her about as seriously as intelligent
people take Jerry Springer as a talk show host.

> to print out a list of files in a directory. (onto a piece of paper) I =
was
> amazed at her answer. She suggested that he buy a $30 package that does=
 that
> for him. She then went on to say that she uses this software herself.
> =

> My answers:
> =

> DOS Window: dir > tempfile
>             print tempfile
> =

> Best answer (Unix) : ls | lpr
> =

> Without using the command-line, you can't do anything without finding t=
he
> correct series of icons to click on. Time spent digging through menus c=
an be
> better spent eating pizza or drinking soda.
> - --
> KevinO
> =

> A "few" is an indefinitely small number that conveys a qualitative sens=
e of a
> quantity, but not quantitative fact.

Recently I've read several guides on securing Windows XP, and Windows XP
Home Edition.  Funny thing is, to really secure it *requires* using the
command line.  This tells me that an MCSE that doesn't already know the
command line needs a refresher course, and probably doesn't know too
much about security, either.  =

In case anyone is wondering, the one of the GIAC guides to securing
Windows XP Home Edition is 53 pages long
(www.giac.org/practical/GSEC/Dennis_Schrader_GSEC.pdf).  Anyone want to
place a wager on how many (er, few) secure XP Home systems there are in
the world?  Scary.

George

-- =

Discover . . .         | Free Computer Security Information
        <=B7=B7=B7> Secure   | http://www.georgetoft.com/security
         Networking    | =

@http://georgetoft.com | Lock your box - keep your affairs private!