How do you take Linux off of a hard drive?

Michael Havens plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 4 May 2003 01:31:04 -0700

If you are running knoppix you can open a term window and execute the fdisk
command:
# fdisk /dev/hdx
where 'hdx is hda, etc whichever drive is the one you are dealing with.
Once in fdisk you can use 'm' to list out the fdisk commands, 'p' to print
out
the partition table, and 'q' to quit without making any changes.
What is the output when you have it print out the partition table?
- --
KevinO
^^^^
Well, I typed in fdisk /dev/hda5 to which it rerplied unable to open
/dev/hda5
                                and
I typed in fdisk /mnt/dev/hda5 to which it rerplied unable to open
/mnt/dev/hda5
I then thought that perhaps I had to mount the drive first.
After doing that I received the same errors.

So what am I doing wrong?