Why linux is not ready for the desktop Was: Whats with X

Sat, 3 May 2003 00:19:53 -0700 (MST)

Am 02. May, 2003 schw=E4tzte Rob Wultsch so:

> For most users out there if they lose they gui they will restart the
> machine. Most users do not want to learn to use any command line anything=
=2E

Fine. Let them. That's their problem. No need to destabilize things for the
rest of us. Also, it would destabilize things for them. See Deepak's post.

Besides, those same people aren't even going to notice 50 MB for X as
OpenOffice.org is bigger than that :).

> My interest in Linux is based purely on the idea that IP and copyrights

Call in to the radio show tomorrow and ask rms about the term "intellectual
property" :)

> are not the way the world should work. Are the ideals of the people on
> this list that Linux should focus on being the best server os in the
> world or should linux be a gateway for the world to know free software?

Yes.

I'm certain both views are represented. As are views like it
should be the best desktop, it should be all about killing
m$/apple/intel/amd/wal-mart/misc-hated-company, things should be cheap, it'=
a great platform for downloading music/pr0n, what GUI?, *BSD rocks and Linu=
sucks, *NIX is the way to go in whatever form, etc.

That's the beauty of Free Software. You can use it for whatever means you
wish.

I will say that I and at least a few other people will weigh in that
GNU/Linux is a great platform to showcase the capabilities and freedoms of
Free Software. I think most of us in that group are also against use for
illegal purposes such as sharing copyrighted materials without permission.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  kill telnet, long live ssh - der.hans