Why linux is not ready for the desktop Was: Whats with X

Tom Jones plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 2 May 2003 21:50:59 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Rob Wultsch wrote:

> For most users out there if they lose they gui they will restart the
> machine. Most users do not want to learn to use any command line anything.

Linux isn't written for most users.  It's written to satisfy the needs of
those writing it.  For some, that need may include making Linux more
accessible to the masses.  Some have even started companies around this
idea.  For others, they just need to get something done, and Linux meets
that need now.

> My interest in Linux is based purely on the idea that IP and copyrights
> are not the way the world should work. Are the ideals of the people on
> this list that Linux should focus on being the best server os in the
> world or should linux be a gateway for the world to know free software?

Linux is a tool to do a job.  Any ideals attached to it are the problem of
the one doing the attaching.  At least, that's my individual opinion.  I'm
sure others on the list will have plenty to say for themselves.