Another ditty

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 17:31:44 -0700 (MST)

Here is a job posting from Dec 2002 out of Lowes.
( http://www.dfwuug.org/archives/public/jobs/2002-December/000005.html )

You can see here they have AIX and Linux (at least if not more)

It also includes maintaining, documenting, and enhancing existing system
software (written in ANSI C, Java, Perl   Korn), maintaining, documenting
and enhancing existing system operating system and management utilities
(AIX, Linux, and others a plus).

Here is a blip from their 10-K SEC Filing for Fiscal Year Ending Feb 2002.

Information Systems
The Company is continuously assessing and upgrading its information
systems in an effort to support growth, to control costs, and to enable
better decision-making. During the last six years, the Company has made a
substantial investment in developing and purchasing new computer systems.
Lowe's has a point of sale system, electronic bar code scanning system,
various design systems and dual UNIX Servers in each of its stores. Store
information is communicated to the support center's central computer via a
terrestrial based (frame relay) network with back up being provided by a
satellite based wide area network. These systems provide customer checkout
with automated credit card approval and also provide store-based perpetual
inventory information. In addition, the systems also provide labor
planning and item movement experience. These computers supply the general
office functions with the information needed to support the stores,
including centralized inventory replenishment.

Someone else did research that appears to point that their appliance
kiosks run Linux....
http://luna.havk.org/mail/luna__2002_12/0248.html

Lowes.com their online site uses AIX w/Apache, switching from Windows
NT/IIS back in 2000.
http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?host=lowes.com

-Derek