Modem Problems

Christopher Bardin plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 20:46:58 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C2F4A2.02BB64F0

Pardon the HTML.  This is for Michael Havens:

Hi. My name is Chris and I'm a Windows-holic.

It started so innocently.  My first computer, an HP, came with Windows =
Me preinstalled.  All I had to do was turn it on and soon I was pointing =
and clicking all over the internet.  I learned about Google and Yahoo =
and the joy of e-mail.  I began to download.  For a while life was good. =
 Then my computer crashed.  And crashed again.  Files disappeared.  I =
hit rock bottom when I had to reinstall my OS.

I began to think that there must be more to life than trying to get my =
computer to work reliably.  I had bought a certain bare-bones computer =
from Fry's, an FIC Sabre, because it was very quiet and small, unlike =
the HP which sounded a lot like a cheap vacuum cleaner (I finally =
quieted down the HP by replacing its 12 volt case fan with a 24 volt =
fan.)  The Sabre had a problem which prevented any OS installation: it =
can't handle the 512 MB of RAM it said it could.  I didn't discover the =
cause of, and cure for, the Sabre's problem until after I had bought =
Windows 2000 Pro to try to install in it.  I began to read about other =
operating systems and decided to give Linux a try.  I bought Mandrake =
8.1 PowerPack and installed it in my Windows 2000 Pro computer last =
March or so.  I have had no problems dual booting the two operating =
systems in spite of the fact that everything I read said it would be way =
tricky to do.  I just stuck the Mandrake CD in and sat back.  During the =
installation LILO automagically replaced the Windows boot program =
without a hitch.  I only needed to tell Mandrake not to bother the =
existing partitions during the installation, and then I had to find the =
GUI and configure LILO to my liking after I restarted the computer and =
Linux loaded by default.

But I haven't been able to kick Windows cold turkey because I can't get =
online in Linux.  In fact you could say I've fallen off the Linux wagon, =
since I never use Linux for anything because I can't get online.  I =
bought a hardware based internal PCI modem, a U.S. Robotics/3Com 5610B, =
because it was the only modem I found at the time in Fry's which said on =
the box that it would work with Linux.  It didn't, at least not for me, =
but since it worked fine in W2KPro I knew that the problem wasn't in the =
modem.  When I tried the Harddrake wizard it thought the modem was a =
Winmodem and wouldn't go any further.  With help from Mandrake:
  Here are the details about your incident: alans : 06:06 01:38 : Reply =
received=20

  Try this in a console or console window as root. First, to find out =
the pci address of the modem, type: lspci And then use that address (of =
the form xx:xx.x) to get verbose info by typing lspci -v -s

  Write down the io and IRQ being used then run setserial by typing: =
setserial /dev/ttyS4 port irq then verify that it sees a UART by typing: =
setserial /dev/ttyS4 If it doesn\'t, you can guess that it\'s a regular =
16550A UART, so then type: setserial /dev/ttyS4 uart 16550A.=20

  This is the part that makes it work though: type: cd /dev then type: =
ln -sf ttyS4 modem.  Now set your kppp program to use /dev/modem and you =
should be fine. -- Alan - MandrakeSoft Support Team :)=20

This got Linux to recognize the modem and even dial my ISP, but as soon =
as the two modems established a connection they disconnected.  A friend =
who knows Linux very well actually got my Yahoo home page to load, one =
time.  He couldn't figure out how he did it though, and was unable to do =
it again.  At least I know that it is possible to get online using my =
dial-up modem in Linux

After that I gave up trying to use Linux until Mandrake 9.0 came along.  =
I hoped that however it was different it  might allow me to get online =
so I asked a friend who had access to high-speed internet to download it =
 for me, but it didn't work either.  In fact setserial seems to have =
disappeared from 9.0, and I need it to make the modem work.

I joined the PLUG discuss mailing list hoping to discover something that =
will help me to get online in Linux.  Forums and mailing lists are new =
to me so maybe I'm not doing it right, but I find the PLUG mailing list =
a bit difficult to read.  Most of the messages (posts?) seem to be in =
plain text, full of darts and carriage returns on my computer (Windows =
2000 Pro; and I use Yahoo for my mail, so I'm reading it in IE.)  The =
one message that was in HTML was fine.  Again, I'm probably not doing =
something right, but what?

Christopher Bardin

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C2F4A2.02BB64F0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Calligraph421 BT" size=3D2><STRONG>Pardon the =
HTML.&nbsp; This is=20
for Michael Havens:</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans Unicode" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans Unicode" size=3D2>Hi. My name is =
Chris&nbsp;and I'm a=20
Windows-holic.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans Unicode" size=3D2>It started so =
innocently.&nbsp; My=20
first computer, an HP, came with Windows Me preinstalled.&nbsp; All I =
had to do=20
was turn it on and&nbsp;soon I was pointing and clicking all over the=20
internet.&nbsp; I learned about Google and Yahoo and the joy of =
e-mail.&nbsp; I=20
began to download.&nbsp; For a while life was good.&nbsp; Then my =
computer=20
crashed.&nbsp; And crashed again.&nbsp; Files disappeared.&nbsp; I hit =
rock=20
bottom when I had to reinstall my OS.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I began to think that there must be more to life than trying to get =
my=20
computer to work reliably.&nbsp; I had bought a certain bare-bones =
computer from=20
Fry's, an FIC Sabre, because it was very quiet and small, unlike the HP =
which=20
sounded a lot like a cheap vacuum cleaner (I finally quieted down the HP =
by=20
replacing its 12 volt case fan with a 24 volt fan.)&nbsp; The Sabre had =
a=20
problem&nbsp;which prevented any OS installation: it can't handle the =
512 MB of=20
RAM it said it could.&nbsp; I didn't discover the cause of, and cure =
for, the=20
Sabre's problem until after I had bought Windows 2000 Pro to try to =
install in=20
it.&nbsp; I began to read about other operating systems&nbsp;and decided =
to give=20
Linux a try.&nbsp;&nbsp;I bought Mandrake 8.1 PowerPack and installed it =
in my=20
Windows 2000 Pro computer last March or so.&nbsp; I have had&nbsp;no =
problems=20
dual booting the two operating systems in spite of the fact that =
everything I=20
read said it would be way tricky to do.&nbsp; I just stuck the Mandrake =
CD in=20
and sat back.&nbsp; During the installation LILO automagically replaced =
the=20
Windows boot program without a hitch.&nbsp; I only needed to tell =
Mandrake not=20
to bother the existing partitions during the installation, and then I =
had to=20
find the GUI and configure LILO to my liking after I restarted the =
computer and=20
Linux loaded by default.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>But I haven't been able to kick Windows cold turkey because I can't =
get=20
online in Linux.&nbsp; In fact you could say I've fallen off the Linux =
wagon,=20
since I never use Linux for anything because I can't get online.&nbsp; I =
bought=20
a hardware based internal PCI modem, a <STRONG>U.S. Robotics/3Com=20
5610B</STRONG>, because it was the only modem I found at the time in =
Fry's which=20
said&nbsp;on the box that it would work with Linux.&nbsp; It didn't, at =
least=20
not for me, but since it worked fine in W2KPro I knew that the problem =
wasn't in=20
the modem.&nbsp; When I tried the Harddrake wizard it thought the modem =
was a=20
Winmodem and wouldn't go any further.&nbsp; With help from =
Mandrake:<FONT=20
face=3D"Calligraph421 BT"></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0cm"><STRONG><FONT=20
  face=3D"Times New Roman, serif"><FONT size=3D4>Here are the details =
about your=20
  incident: alans : 06:06 01:38 : Reply received =
</FONT></FONT></STRONG></P>
  <P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0cm"><STRONG><FONT size=3D4><FONT=20
  face=3D"Times New Roman, serif">Try this in a console or console =
window as root.=20
  First, to find out the pci address of the modem, type: lspci And then =
use that=20
  address (of the form xx:xx.x) to get verbose info by typing lspci -v=20
  -s</FONT></FONT></STRONG></P>
  <P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0cm"><STRONG><FONT size=3D4><FONT=20
  face=3D"Times New Roman, serif">Write down the io and IRQ&nbsp;being=20
  used&nbsp;t</FONT></FONT><FONT size=3D4><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman, =
serif">hen=20
  run setserial by typing: setserial /dev/ttyS4 port irq then verify =
that it=20
  sees a UART by typing: setserial /dev/ttyS4 If it doesn\'t, you can =
guess that=20
  it\'s a regular 16550A UART, so then type: setserial /dev/ttyS4 uart =
16550A.=20
  </FONT></FONT></STRONG></P>
  <P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0cm"><STRONG><FONT size=3D4><FONT=20
  face=3D"Times New Roman, serif">This is the part that makes it work =
though:=20
  type: cd /dev then type: ln -sf ttyS4 modem.  Now set your kppp =
program to use=20
  /dev/modem and you should be fine. -- Alan - MandrakeSoft Support Team =
:)=20
  </FONT></FONT></STRONG></P></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT>
<DIV>This got Linux to recognize the modem and even dial my ISP, but as =
soon as=20
the two modems established a connection they disconnected.&nbsp; A =
friend who=20
knows Linux very well actually got my Yahoo home page to load, one =
time.&nbsp;=20
He couldn't figure out how he did it though, and was unable to do it=20
again.&nbsp; At least I know that it is possible to get online using my =
dial-up=20
modem in Linux</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>After that I gave up trying to use Linux until Mandrake =
9.0&nbsp;came=20
along.  I hoped that however it was different it  might allow me to get=20
online&nbsp;so I asked a friend who had access to =
high-speed&nbsp;internet to=20
download it&nbsp; for me, but it didn't work either.&nbsp; In=20
fact&nbsp;<EM>setserial </EM>seems to have disappeared from 9.0, and I =
need it=20
to make the modem work.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I joined the PLUG discuss mailing list hoping to discover something =
that=20
will help me to get online in Linux.&nbsp; Forums and mailing lists are =
new to=20
me so maybe I'm not doing it right, but I find the&nbsp;PLUG mailing =
list a bit=20
difficult to read.&nbsp;&nbsp;Most of the messages (posts?) seem to be =
in plain=20
text, full of darts and carriage returns on my computer (Windows 2000 =
Pro; and I=20
use Yahoo for my mail, so I'm reading it in IE.)&nbsp; The one message =
that was=20
in HTML was fine.&nbsp; Again, I'm probably not doing something right, =
but=20
what?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Christopher Bardin</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C2F4A2.02BB64F0--