Sym links point to something... the file that is accessed!

Jenny Charlene plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
28 Mar 2003 14:22:57 -0700

I think the piece that Mike is missing is that /dev/ttyS0 is the 'thing'
that is actually attached to the hardware, and /dev/modem is the link
that makes it easier for humans to understand what the 'thing' is used
for. Also, since you're now calling the 'thing' a 'modem' you could, if
you had to, re-point the link, and not have to change the settings in
several different programs that depend on knowing where the 'modem' is.
Because those programs are looking at /dev/modem, and don't care what
the other end of the link is. As long as it acts like a modem.

Hope that clarifies things a little.