Modem Problem Was: Dennis Kibbe lspci -vv

Michael Havens plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:38:29 -0500

The responses I got to the modem queries was thus:
ttyS0 and ttyS2 both responded with, 'Sorry, the modem doesn't respond=2E'
the othere ttyS#s and the I#s ACM#s all came back with an error message in t=
he terminal window while the kppp gui window said, 'Sorry, can't open modem=2E'=

:-)Mike(-:

----- Original Message -----
From: MG
Sent: 3/27/2003 10:38:59 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists=2Eplug=2Ephoenix=2Eaz=2Eus
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Modem Problem Was: Dennis Kibbe lspci -vv

Mike, try to use kppp to find the modem (it was easier for me when I had thi=
s=20
problem)=2E

Open up a terminal window and type   kppp

When kppp pops up you have a choice of (quit) and (setup)
choose (setup)

Then you get a window with 6 tabs choose (device)

Then click the bar next to Modem Device: and you get a list like this
/dev/modem
/dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS1
/dev/ttyS2
/dev/ttyS3
/dev/ttyI0
/dev/ttyI1
/dev/ttyI2
/dev/ttyI3

click on the first one and then click on the (modem) tab

under the (modem) tab click on  Query Modem  box
and see what it says=2E
Try each one /dev/ttyS0,/dev/ttyS1, etc=2E on down the line until it=20
comunicates with the modem and gives you Query results=2E

Then go into the (Accounts) tab and click the  new  box=20
and enter your information from you ISP=2E
=20
Then click  ok  box at the bottom of the window and it will take you back to=20=

the first window which should have the  connect  box lit up click on that bo=
x=20
and your modem should dial out and try to connect=2E

Note I should say button not box   box=3Dbutton

Also make sure phone line connected to modem=20

Good luck=20
Mike