Re Modem Help Was: Dennis Kibbe

Dennis Kibbe plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 09:06:49 -0700

Quoting Michael Havens <bmike1@vei.net>:

> Thanks for responding. Here is the answer to your questions:
>
> 1. Is this the same modem you had working before under Mandrake?
>
> -Yes it is
>
> 2. How did you get it working before? Did it "just work?" Or did you download
> driver for it?
>
> - I'm pretty sure it just worked.
>
> 3. Is the computer home-built or name brand? If name brand, have you
> searched
> http://www.google.com/linux to see what others have done?
>
> -Home built by a friend.
>
> 4. I assume it's an internal PCI modem. Do you know the make and ? And if
> you do have that info, what have you found by googling or search the
> Mandrake
> forums?
>
> -It is a US Robotics v 91 <? on the version>
>
> 5. Can you post the output of "lspci -vv" ? I'm guessing if it is a real
> modem
> it will show up as such on the PCI bus.
>
> -I'm not home now so I can't give you the listing of pci stuff but going back
> to another message I had answered:
> dmesg | grep tty
> ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550
> ttyS02 at 0x03e8 (irq = 4 <this might be wrong>) is a 16550A
> ttyS04 at port 0xec00 (irq=9) is a 16550A
>
> I hope that answers your question.
>

> :-)Mike(-:

OK, we're getting somewhere. More questions -

1. What happens when you run kppp and select ttyS04 as the device? Does the
modem dial?

2. (and someone please correct if I've got this wrong) What is /dev/modem linked
to? Try ls -l /dev/modem to see what that's actually pointing to.

3. The output of lspci -vv should give you the model number of the US Robotics
modem so you can google for further info. Or call your friend who built the box.

Dennis