Linux/OSS/FS critical mass reached?

Jim plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
18 Mar 2003 17:13:05 -0700

--=-kDHfIZwWMMEjVYyrZCz0

On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 18:37, Alan Dayley wrote:
> [I'll whisper so I don't wake up all the sleeping PLUGgers.]
>=20
> (Everyone must be busy and productive today.  The list is so quiet!)
>=20
> I have been seeing things lately about Linux/OSS/FS:
> - A local PC shop says 25-33% of the computers they sell go out with Linu=
x instead of MS.
> - A local school using LTSP for the computer lab.
> - Family members, after all this time, finally, actually wanting to know =
what it is even though they have known I was into it for years.
> - More and more articles about it in highly visible "non-tech" magazines.
> - MS trying to look more open and at the same time producing products wit=
h more customer lock-in potential (file formats of the next version of Offi=
ce, for example).
> - MS recognizing the competitive threat in finacial statements.
> - and more things.
>=20
> I really think Linux/OSS/FS is reaching a critical mass in the mindshare =
of the general public and the movers and shakers.  That it is coming out fr=
om behind the scenes and into the spotlight.  And people like what they see=
!  The next couple of years are going to be busy for us advocates as this b=
all starts rolling on it's own.  Instead of pushing it, we are going to hav=
e to run to keep up!  I am excited about it.
>=20
> Are you all seeing what I am seeing?
>=20
> Alan
>=20
Yup - we are infecting the world.  Lots of articles about companies
doing more than just evaluating L/F/OSS or looking the other way when
someone asks about the stealth servers ;)