Linux/OSS/FS critical mass reached?

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 18:37:34 -0700 (GMT)

[I'll whisper so I don't wake up all the sleeping PLUGgers.]

(Everyone must be busy and productive today.  The list is so quiet!)

I have been seeing things lately about Linux/OSS/FS:
- A local PC shop says 25-33% of the computers they sell go out with Linux instead of MS.
- A local school using LTSP for the computer lab.
- Family members, after all this time, finally, actually wanting to know what it is even though they have known I was into it for years.
- More and more articles about it in highly visible "non-tech" magazines.
- MS trying to look more open and at the same time producing products with more customer lock-in potential (file formats of the next version of Office, for example).
- MS recognizing the competitive threat in finacial statements.
- and more things.

I really think Linux/OSS/FS is reaching a critical mass in the mindshare of the general public and the movers and shakers.  That it is coming out from behind the scenes and into the spotlight.  And people like what they see!  The next couple of years are going to be busy for us advocates as this ball starts rolling on it's own.  Instead of pushing it, we are going to have to run to keep up!  I am excited about it.

Are you all seeing what I am seeing?

Alan