Swap / Was ->Re: INstallation Questions

Mike Starke plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:13:15 -0500

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 10:21:43PM -0700, David Mandala wrote:
/_I have 512M installed and I use 2x that or a gig of swap. It works for
/_me. On my 128M machine I use 512M swap and that works well too, that
/_machine actually hit 2x swap once so I'm happy that I gave it more. On
/_my 64M machine I use 256M (it has a really small HD too).
/_
/_So for 128M and under I'd use 4x
/_256 and over 2x

Wow, I had no idea folks are using that much. Again, is this
typical advice for the "average user"?  I consider myself just
an average user, and when I look at the output of "free" I have always
seen a big fat "0" under the used section for swap.

-Mike