Cable Modems

Christopher Bardin plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 21:46:00 -0800 (PST)

I use a Zoom model 5001 internal (PCI) cable modem I
bought at Fry's for $100.  I haven't used or had
anything to do with any other cable modem so I don't
have anything to compare it to, but it seems to work
perfectly.  It has come close to the 3Mb/s limit
imposed by Cox on residential service.

As I understand it, you share a high speed Cox node
with all the other Cox cable internet customers in an
area about a square mile.  If you live where there are
a lot of cable internet customers, like around ASU,
your effective connection speed will drop drastically
at those times when everyone else is online.  If
anyone would like to know more, I'd be glad to give
your contact info to the very helpful cox technician
who had to remove a filter from the line to my house
before the modem would work.

As to the statement that cable modems get hot, mine
stays doesn't.  I'm guessing that what gets an
external modem hot is mostly the power supply.  Or
maybe they are just poorly designed.

Christopher Bardin